THE MAHARAJA SAYAJIRAO UNIVERSITY OF BARODA VADODARA
Ph. D. ENTRANCE TEST (PET) – 13th SEPTEMBER 2015 Roll. No.
Signature of Invigilators
FACULTY OF SOCIAL WORK(10)
(in figures as in Hall Ticket) Roll No. __________________ __________________________ (in words)
Maximum Marks: 100
Time: 12.00 noon to 3.00 P.M. (180 Minutes)
Instruction for the Candidate: 1. Write your Roll Number in the space provided on the top of this page. 2. This paper consists of Fifty (50) multiple choice type questions. Each Question carries two (2) marks. 3. Each question has four alternative responses marked (A), (B), (C) and (D). The answer should be a capital letter for the selected option. The answer letter should entirely be contained within the corresponding square. Correct Method
4. Your responses to the items for this paper are to be indicated on the ICR Answer Sheet only. 5. Read instructions given inside carefully. 6. Extra page is attached at the end of the Booklet for rough work. 7. You should return the ICR Answer Sheet to the Invigilator at the end of examination and should not carry it with you outside the examination hall. 8. There shall be NO NEGATIVE MARKING. 9. Use of programmable calculator is not allowed. Any electronic equipments/ mobile phone etc. are not allowed in the premise of the examination hall. If found, candidate is liable to be expelled from the examination center. 10. Candidates are allowed to carry Question booklet with them after the examination is over.
Faculty of Social Work-10
Faculty of Social Work-10
Faculty of Social Work (10) Note : This paper contains FIFTY(50) multiple-choice questions. Each Question carries two (2) marks. 01) A systematic literature review is: 05) What is a cross-sectional design? A) One which starts in your own library, then A) A study of one particular section of society, goes to on-line databases and, finally, to the e.g. the middle classes. internet. B) One that is devised when the researcher is in a B) A replicable, scientific and transparent bad mood. process. C) The collection of data from more than one case C) One which gives equal attention to the at one moment in time. principal contributors to the area. D) A comparison of two or more variables over a D) A responsible, professional process of timelong period of time. management for research. 06) Why should you start coding your data as soon as possible? 02) What is a research design? A) To sharpen your focus and help with A) A way of conducting research that is not theoretical sampling. grounded in theory. B) Because researchers always run out of time at B) The choice between using qualitative or the end of a project. quantitative methods. C) Because it is the easiest task to do. C) The style in which you present your research D) To make sure that your initial theoretical ideas findings, e.g. a graph. are imposed on the data. D) A framework for every stage of the collection and analysis of data. 07) What is one of the main ethical problems associated with conducting a secondary analysis of qualitative data? 03) If a study is "reliable", this means that: A) The participants may not have given informed A) It was conducted by a reputable researcher consent to the reuse of their data. who can be trusted. B) It involves deceiving respondents about the B) The measures devised for concepts are stable nature of the research. on different occasions. C) The secondary analyst must adopt a covert role C) The findings can be generalized to other social and is at risk of "going native". settings. D) Respondents are likely to experience physical D) The methods are stated clearly enough for the harm as a result of the process. research to be replicated. 08) A mixed methods approach uses: A) A combination of more than one qualitative 04) In an experimental design, the dependent variable method in the same study. is: B) Multi-disciplinary team of researchers. A) The one that is not manipulated and in which C) Quantitative and qualitative methods in the any changes are observed. same study. B) The one that is manipulated in order to observe D) A combination of descriptive and inferential any effects on the other. analytic techniques. C) A measure of the extent to which personal values affect research. 09) Which one of these is NOT normally associated D) An ambiguous concept whose meaning with quantitative data? depends on how it is defined. A) Researchers views of high importance. B) Analysis guided by standardised rules. C) Numbers. D) Analysis begins as data are collected. Faculty of Social Work-10
10) Which one of these is NOT normally associated 16) The sequencing in research process is with qualititative data? I. Studying existing literature in a field. II. Generating new theories. A) Images. III. Analysis of the findings. B) Words. IV. Synthesing ideas. C) Narrative. D) Pie charts. A) (I) (II) (III) (IV) B) (I) (IV) (III) (II) 11) Which of these should be most valuable to show a C) (I) (II) (IV) (III) gradual change in behaviour over time? D) (I) (IV) (II) (III) A) Experimental studies. B) Longitudinal studies. 17) The author of the book, ‘Practice of Social C) Extrapolations. Research- Social Work Perspective’ is D) Snapshot survey. A) D.K.Lal Das. B) H.B.Trecker. 12) If the study is carried out once and represent a C) J. Galtung. snapshot of one point in time, D) Nan Lin. then the study is ___________ A) Time related study. 18) Quantitative methods enable one to B) Longitudinal study. A) Draw conclusion from studies on C) Cross sectional study. self report questionnaires. D) Case studies. B) Draw conclusion from studies on the size of cohort. 13) “Controlled Group” is a term used in….. C) Draw conclusion from studies on A) Survey research. observation of behaviour. B) Historical research. D) Draw conclusion from studies on C) Experimental research. statistical inference. D) Descriptive research.
the basis of the basis of the basis of the basis of
19) Research conducted in class room atmosphere is 14) Fundamental research reflects the ability to… called A) Synthesize new ideas. A) Field study. B) Expound new principles. B) Survey. C) Evaluate the existing material concerning C) Laboratory research. research. D) Empirical research. D) Study the existing literature regarding various topics. 20) Which one the following options is an empirical counter part of a concept? 15) The study in which the investigation attempt to A) Variable. trace an effect is known as B) Theory. A) Survey research. C) Hypothesis. B) Ex-post Facto research. D) Law. C) Historical research. D) Summative research. 21) According to you which one of the following is a correct statement? A) Constructs are empirically grounded theoretical creations. B) Variables require more generality than concepts. C) A paradigm answers all important research questions. D) Explanation is function of a hypothesis. Faculty of Social Work-10
22) Which one of the following options is a key 26) Match the List-I with List-II and select the correct component of a scientific theory? answers from the codes given below: A) A Conceptual Scheme. List-I List-II I. Null Hypothesis 1. Those hypotheses B) An intuitive perception. which fail to C) Framework of customary practices. specify the D) A network of axioms. predicted relationship as 23) What does a variable signify? positive or A) Subjectivity. negative. B) Law. II. Directional 2. It results from Hypothesis C) Measurement. potential sources of error in our D) Theory. judgment about a presumed 24) Which one of the following answers is correct relationship. characterization of a variable? III. Non-Directional 3. It postulates that A) A system of scientific explanation Hypothesis the relationships B) A class of facts being statistically C) A set of universal generalization tested are D) Logical grouping of attributes explained by chance. IV. Rival Hypothesis 4. It is capable to 25) Match the List-I with List-II and select the correct predict the nature answers from the codes given below: of relationship as List-I List-II positive or I. Conceptualization 1. Contains one negative. independent and one dependent The Answer Codes: variable. I II III IV II. Hypothesis 2. Is a process in A) 1 3 2 4 which we specify B) 3 4 1 2 precisely what C) 2 1 4 3 we will mean D) 4 2 3 1 when we use the particular term. III. Sampling Size 3. Means a definite 27) From the following jumbled options, identify the plan for correct sequence of steps in drawing a sample obtaining a design and then select the right answer code. sample from a I. Size of sample. given population. II. Budget Considerations. IV. Sampling Design 4. Means number III. Parameters of interest. of items to be IV. Type of Universe. selected from the V. Source List. universe for the VI. Sampling Unit. research. Select the answer code:
The Answer Codes: I
A) B) C) D)
2 1 4 3
3 4 1 2
1 3 2 4
4 2 3 1
Faculty of Social Work-10
A) B) C) D)
IV, VI, V, I, III, II II, I, VI, V, IV, III V, II, IV, III, I, VI I, VI, III, II, IV, V
28) Which of the following parametric tests of 34) The Method section of your research report should: hypothesis is generally used for comparing the A) describe everything that you can think of mean of a sample to some hypothesized mean for concerning your participants, apparatus, and the population in case of large sample - or when procedure. population variance is known? B) provide enough information about your study A) t-test. that the reader could duplicate it in all its 2 B) X test. essential details. C) F-test. C) tell what mistakes you made in your pilot D) Z-test. study that you eliminated in the actual study. D) discuss the results of your study. 29) Which of the following is the product of data processing? 35) The Reference section of your research report A) Information. should contain a listing of all the references that: B) Data. A) were cited in the report. C) Software programme. B) you read when preparing to write the report. D) System. C) you believe the readers of your report would find useful. 30) Software instructions intended to satisfy a user’s D) have anything at all to do with the topic of specific processing needs are called your report. A) System software. B) Process software. 36) If you have two articles to list in your reference C) Documentation. section by the same author, you then list them: D) Application software. A) from the oldest to the newest. B) from the newest to the oldest. 31) ”SPSS”means C) alphabetically according to the first word of A) Social package statistical study. the journal title. B) Statistical package in social science. D) alphabetically according to the first word in C) Sun package for statistical study. the title of the article or book. D) Statistical package in sun science . 37) On a graph, the levels of the independent variable 32) Median is a process are usually represented on the: A) The position average, or the point that divides A) x-axis. the distribution in half. B) y-axis. B) The position 3/4,or the point that divides the C) ordinate. distribution in 1/3rd . D) figure caption C) The position 2/3,or the point that divided the distribution in 3/4. 38) The most powerful software package for D) The position that not at all divides. Qualitative research is A) ATLAS.ti 33) Learning how to write a research report is B) Zydex valuable: C) Java A) only if you are going to become a scientist. D) Excel B) only if you are going to become an experimental psychologist. 39) A primary data collection method that involves C) only if you are planning to become a writer. tracking behaviour over a period of time is called: D) for any occupation in which you will have to A) Browsing. organize facts, draw logical conclusions, and B) Observation. present those facts and conclusions to others. C) Sampling. D) Testing. Faculty of Social Work-10
40) Mystery shopping is a form of: A) Questionnaire. B) Observation. C) Analysis. D) postal survey.
46) In a focus group discussion, participants should be encouraged to: A) Talk to each other. B) Speak whenever they want. C) Talk only to the moderator. D) Talk loudly so the audio-recorder can pick up 41) Researcher self-disclosure and the development of what they say. rapport with participants are issues particularly associated with which of the following qualitative 47) When transcribing interview and focus group data, methods? it’s important to: A) Story completion tasks. A) Transcribe the data as soon as possible after B) Focus groups. the interview/focus group. C) Qualitative surveys. B) Leave a gap between the interview/focus group D) Interviews. and transcribing it. C) Clean up people’s speech. 42) Which of the following qualitative methods D) Only transcribe what seems relevant to the reduces the power and control of the researcher? research question. A) Interviews. B) Qualitative surveys. 48) Qualitative Research gives an . C) Focus groups. A) Epic perspective. D) Story completion tasks. B) Emic Perspective. C) Etic perspective. 43) Qualitative surveys are particularly useful for? D) Even perspective. A) Collecting individual views, opinions and experiences. 49) Reports present conclusions based on B) Generating rich, detailed and ‘deep’ data. A) Investigation. C) Generating unanticipated insights. B) Intuition. D) Collecting data from small samples. C) Belief. D) Impression. 44) Which of the following qualitative methods is ideally suited to capturing routine and everyday 50) Research is…….. processes? A) Searching again and again. A) Interviews. B) Finding solution to any problem. B) Researcher-directed diaries. C) Working in a scientific way to search for truth C) Story completion tasks. of any problem. D) Surveys. D) Not required for Social Scientist. 45) What are the major design issues in using secondary sources? A) Meaningfulness to participants. B) Sample and rationale. C) Size of sample. D) Realism.
Faculty of Social Work-10
Faculty of Social Work-10