Section 1 pages 1 -22
1. What is the setting of Section 1?
2. How old is the author when the book starts?
3. What does the narrator want to study?
4. Describe Elie Wiesel’s father. What was his occupation?
5. Who was the instructor the narrator found?
6. Who were expelled from Sighet?
7. What did Moishe say happened to the Jews?
8. What 3 rules were imposed on the Jews of Sighet by the Germans?
9. On the 7th day of Passover who did the Germans arrest?
10. What does Elie’s father learn at the special meeting of the Council?
11. Who were their first oppressors and how did Wiesel say he felt about them?
12. Who was Maria and what did she offer the Wiesel family?
Section 2 and 3 pages 23 – 46 1. To what did Wiesel compare the world?
2. What did Madame Schachter see in her vision?
3. How did the other people in the car react to Madame Schachter?
4. Where did the train stop?
5. What did the Jews in the train car discover when they looked out the window?
6. When did Wiesel say the travelers left their illusions behind?
7. What words separated Elie from his mother and sisters?
8. What was Elie’s main thought as the men and women were being herded from the train?
9. Why does the inmate tell Elie and his father to lie about their ages?
10. What ages do they say they are?
11. What prayer were the people saying? Why was it unusual?
12. What did Elie do when the gypsy struck his father? Why? What was his father’s response?
13. What is tattooed on Elie’s arm?
14. What lie does Elie tell Stein, his relative from Antwerp?
15. How long were Elie and his father at Auschwitz? Where did they go after that?
Section 4 pages 47 – 65
1. Why is Elie sent to the dentist?
2. What were the only things in which Elie took an interest?
3. What secret does the French woman who works near Elie hide from everyone?
4. What did Elie Wiesel do when Idek hit his father? What was he thinking?
5. Who took Elie’s gold tooth? Why did Elie give it up?
6. Why is a prisoner shot while the factories are being bombed?
7. How did Elie describe the men after the air raid?
8. What happened to the young man from Warsaw? Why?
9. How did Elie say the soup tasted the night the pipel (young servant boy) was hanged?
Section 5 pages 66 – 84 1. What did the men do on the eve of Rosh Hashana?
2. How did Elie feel while the others were praying?
3. What was Elie’s decision about fasting on Yom Kippur? Why did he make that decision?
4. What New Year’s “gift” does the SS give the prisoners?
5. What is “selection”?
6. What advice does the head of the block give to the prisoners when the SS doctors come in for inspection?
7. What is the name of the doctor who was in charge of “selection”?
8. What did Elie dream of when he dreamed of a better world?
9. What was Elie’s “inheritance” from his father? Why was his father giving it to him?
10. Did the men remember to say the Kaddish for Akiba Drumer?
11. Why does Elie go to the infirmary?
12. Why does Elie’s neighbor in the infirmary have “more faith in Hitler than anyone else”?
13. What happened to the patients who stayed in the hospital instead of being evacuated?
14. What was the last thing the head of the block ordered the men to do before they evacuated? Why?
15. What was the weather like during evacuation?
Section 6, 7, 8, 9 pages 85 – 115 1. What happened to the prisoners who could not keep up during the march?
2. While running, an idea began to fascinate Elie. What was the idea? What kept him from carrying out his idea?
3. What did Elie realize about Rabbi Eliahou and his son?
4. What was the name of the camp to which the men walked?
5. Describe Elie’s meeting with Juliek.
6. What is Juliek’s last act before dying?
7. How long were they at Gleiwitz? Where did they go next?
8. Who was taken for dead and almost thrown off of the train?
9. What happens when German civilians throw pieces of bread into the train cars?
10. Who was Meir Katz? What happened to him?
11. How many men started out in the train?
How many were left when they arrived at Buchenwald?
12. What does Elie’s father tell him is buried in the cellar of their home?
13. What advice does the Blockalteste give to Elie about his father?
14. What happened to Mr. Wiesel, Elie’s father?
15. What does Elie feel deep down when his father dies?
16. What happened on April 11, 1945?
17. What was Elie’s only desire?
18. Three days after liberation what happens to Elie?
19. What does Elie see when he looks in the mirror?